Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Each Day is a Blessing

Approximately 3 and 1/2 months ago, I was told by one of my mom's doctors that she "had maybe 2 months" to live. It's impossible for words to describe the emotions I felt during the following weeks. I learned many things during that time - one of them being how very human I am! Emotions, no matter how intense or uncomfortable, make us who we are. We are truly living when we are feeling.

Now, almost 4 months later, I'm just thankful for each day my mom is here. I'm thankful for each and every conversation... each and every hug. I know that each one could be our last. Of course, the ultimate realization is that that's the truth for all of us... cancer or not. Cancer just helps us remember how we really should treat each other. One of those ironic blessings of cancer!

Because God has determined that mom still needs to be here, we've been able to celebrate life a little bit more. Mom was here for her beloved first granddaughter's 5th birthday, she was here for her own birthday a couple weeks ago, and she and dad have spent some very happy (and loud) days here with their joyful grandkids! In fact, mom was even able to muster up the energy to go out for a fabulous birthday celebration dinner. She thoroughly enjoyed it, as did all of us!

Each day is truly precious. None of it is easy, but it is what it is. My life is being woven and this experience of cancer is part of the beautiful intricate pattern.

No comments: